For this blog I decided to jot down the notes I highlighted while reading the articles. To me these are the things that stood out in my mind that I think will prove helpful to remember in the long run of web design.
Interfaces are Sexy
Its not true to say that an interface is always simple, its true that an interface's role is to simplify a task.Considering the precesses involved in using a web site. Ask questions like:
- What is the major call to action for this site?
- What do we want the user to do?
Planning out the site's creating process in detail makes everyone's lives easier. Happy developers. Happy clients.
RESEARCH!!! This was emphasized a lot.
Structure:
- stay away from the computer (I go straight there I never thought it was bad...)
- decisions at this stage should be based on what the site can become- rather than worrying about how specific form elements should be displayed.
Wireframes = blueprints for your design
Navigation is the most important interactive element of any website
Aesthetics:
- "this is the fun part"
- crack open the tins of paint and start throwing colors at the canvas
(I have been very eager to design... It is frustrating to not have a website look like I see it in my head.)
Design comp = comprehensive artwork
Style guides are useful if you are handing project over to a third party who will actually be building the site.
Design brief = what the client expects of the design you'll build
- detailed briefs are important
If you only use websites for inspiration, you'll only ever build a web site that looks like other web sites.
Research is an on going process
White Space
"If you don't consider all your whitespace, that's just bad design." (pg. 5)
I already knew a lot about white space from graphic design, but I didn't know how many different types of it there were.
- macro-whitespace = space between major elements in a composition
- micro-whitespace = space between smaller elements
- Active-whitespace= used to lead a reader from one element to another
- Passive-whitespace= create harmony and visual comfort in design
(Economist is a prime example of using white space)
- luxury markets, generous use of white space
Contrast and Meaning
Used to define hierarchy, manipulate certain widely understood relationships, and exploit context to enhance or redefine those relationships.
Convey meaning
- Nothing has much meaning by itself, which is one reason why design is important.
Contrast is the root of almost everything one will accomplish with design.
Unconscious awareness is one of the primary realms we seek to manipulate through design.
- humans habitually scan surroundings
- look for elements of contrast
Contrast conveys meaning!
Currently I have no questions concerning the readings. I felt that they were very thorough in explaining reasonings.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.